JHF exhibition at the ‘Clipper’
Round the World Yacht Race, 2009-2010
The flotilla returns: memorable days in Hull.
The local team: “Hull and Humber” showing visitors around the boat.
Always jobs to do keeping ship shape.
Hull Marina, the tower of Holy Trinity on the sky line, entrance to the lock pit to the right.
John Harrison Race, Humber Estuary, 2010: rescue craft follow the flotilla in to Hull.
Family and friends at the ‘Clipper’ stage: come on Elaine!
Explorer and circumnavigator Sir Robin Knox-Johnston CBE shares a meaningful anecdote with the crowd.
Visitors admire a spruced up “Cape Breton” in the lock.
Dignitaries wait out an English rain shower.
The Lord Mayor of Hull and Admiral of the Humber Councillor David Gemmell presents the JHF race award to skipper of “Hulll and Humber” Piers Dudin on winning the JHF inaugural race.
Crowds throng to the waters edge; in the background rises 150 feet (46m.) the tower, completed in 1520, of Holy Trinity Church Hull;
now the largest non collegiate Church in England. Established first as a Chapel in 1285, in the 18th. Century John Harrison tuned the bells
though they were to be replaced in1894. James Harrison of Hull, great grandson of John Harrison’s younger brother, also James, built the tower clock in
1840. William Wilberforce, (1759-1833), English politician,philanthropist and leading slavery abolitionist was born in Hull and baptised in this Church.
Later restoration (c1859) was carried out under the direction of the famous English architect Sir Giles Gilbert Scott, (1880-1960).
His Exigency, Anthony Johnson-smith, Jamaican Ambassador and Jamaica crew treat the crowd to their Usain Bolt impressions.
The crew of “California” Ol’Glory and a bear enjoy the moment!
The “Hull and Humber” boat supported by small craft, winning the John Harrison inaugural race: Humber Estuary, (2010).